Genart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host-02

Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 13 April 2017 23:02 UTC

From: Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org, draft-ietf-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host-02
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 16:02:10 -0700

Reviewer: Joel Halpern
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host-??
Reviewer: Joel Halpern
Review Date: 2017-04-13
IETF LC End Date: None
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Major issues: N/A

Minor issues:
    The proposed status seems questionable.  We as a community are not
recommending that operators assign unique prefixes to hosts.  This
document is saying "if you want to do that, here is a way, using
existing tools, to make that work."  The document also recommends
specific setting of other flags (the O flag in the RA, for example)
that are not closely coupled to the particular topic.  This looks like
an ordinary Informational RFC.  I would have no concern with this
being published with that label.

Nits/editorial comments:
    As per the nits checker, the document uses RFC 2119 terminology.
The usage seems quite appropriate.  The document should therefore cite
RFC 2119.
    Also, as per the nits checker, the document references RFC 6106.
It should reference RFC 8106.