Re: Consultation on *revised* IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Wed, 03 June 2020 19:43 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Consultation on *revised* IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 07:43:25 +1200
Cc: ietf <ietf@ietf.org>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>

Added as https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/42   Note, that this needs to be done in reference to our Privacy Statement (as the applicable policy) and that has a strong focus on openness as well as privacy.

> - I can't see how all the stuff about "participant journey"
> isn't either waffle or over-reach, e.g. if "Fully documented
> participant journey" meant that the someone thinks IETFers are
> going to only follow paths set-out in such a document, that's
> silly and over-reach. If it doesn't mean that then what's it
> for? I suggest removing the term and replacing each occurrence
> with whatever is really meant in each case (or with nothing).
> (And then re-reviewing.)

My answer may unintentionally come across as rude.

It appears that you are unfamiliar with the concept of user journeys (which, as Ekr has pointed out, is renamed to "participant journey" to be more IETF specific).  These are an important tool in understanding how people interact with systems, whether those systems are organisational or technological.  The details of a user journey are quite simple, as explained in the strategy:

"a map of the different stages of participation (e.g. newcomer, leadership), at what stages people start their participation in the IETF, how they transition between them and at what stages they end their participation.  "

I do not think it is appropriate that we are limited in our strategy to concepts that every reader understands.

> - Saying "LLC strategy closely aligned with the strategic
> objectives of IESG, IRSG and IAB" still indicates a fundamental
> misunderstanding IMO. Those bodies cannot, collectively, have
> an agreed set of such "strategic objectives" at any given
> moment in the sense meant here. ISTM that baking that error
> into the LLC's strategy is likely to lead to over-reach as
> the LLC "extrapolates" from something that can never exist.
> I'd suggest just deleting the offending statements would be
> best.

First, I should note that the term "collectively" is something you have added and not something that comes form this document.  This is about the LLC aligning with the strategic objectives of those bodies, if they have them, and in whatever form they come.

Second, the IESG for one has been looking at strategic planning for some time

	https://www.ietf.org/blog/iesg-strategic-retreat/

If you want it formally recognised that those bodies cannot have strategic objectives, or cannot have collective strategic objectives, then you should really be taking that point of view to them and asking them to affirm that in a statement rather than trying to impose that view in a second order document such as this.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director