RE: Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@unify.com> Thu, 26 May 2016 14:13 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@unify.com>
To: Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.ietf@gmail.com>, Leslie Daigle <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com>
Subject: RE: Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 14:13:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Cc: "mtgvenue@ietf.org" <mtgvenue@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org Discussion" <ietf@ietf.org>

Thanks Dhruv for this I have been reluctant to say anything on this thread as I was thinking that it does not impact me.

However I have become increasingly concerned about what cancelling the Singapore meeting might mean for the IETF and I am thinking that such an action could be disastrous for the IETF and only serve to split the fantastic international community that is the IETF.

As other have said we have to be very careful as an international organisation not to pick and choose who’s laws and customs we agree and disagree with beyond some very low bar regarding the  safety of participants and their ability to participate.   Possibly the choice was not a good one I don’t have much of an opinion on that but cancelling I think would risk hitting the self destruct button.

Regards
Andy