Re: A sad farewell

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 03 November 2020 20:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 21:07:45 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: A sad farewell

I find the responses on this thread quite frustrating.

They are exactly like what i have come to experience when people
have to leave big companies because of horribly bad management and
nobody sees a way to improve management. I would have hoped
that IETF culture and community influence was better and that
something like this should not have happened or could even be
reversed by community outcry and forcing change in leadership
behavior.

I am sorry to hear the insight about LLC operations, because to me
the contributor facing view i had was very positive. But either i am
not on the right mailing lists, or these internal conflicts are
not exposed at all for the community to be able to influence them.

In any case, i fear that progress of tooling, especially in these
critical times of migration to XMLv3 starting to expose limitations
and IMHO a need for ongoing "free-of-process" improvement of tooling.

To me, IETF is best when it is driven by engagement of contributors,
and (rough) community consensus, and not by leadership decisions.
Unfortunately, i think we are shifting more and more to this leadership
preference based constrainment of innitiatives, innovation and activities,
spending more time on prohibiting activities than encouraging them.
This is IMHO, what is going to kill IETF if it continues.

To me, the tooling team was predominantly visible through the
extreme responsible hands-on work of Henrik, and i just considered
him to be the lead contributor to the "tools-track", so the fact
that he was because of reasons of contract and management decisions
kept out of the strategy is exactly the problem of self-righteous
managemenet centric companies. I guess we never had better oversight
of management tradition, because we came from a long time where we
may have just been very lucky in our choices of leadership. I don't know.

*sigh*

Cheers
    toerless

--