Basic ietf process question ...

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Thu, 02 August 2012 16:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:25:03 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
Subject: Basic ietf process question ...

All,

IETF documents have number of mandatory sections .. IANA Actions,
Security Considerations, Refs, etc ...

Does anyone have a good reason why any new protocol definition or
enhancement does not have a build in mandatory "XML schema" section
which would allow to actually use such standards based enhancement in
vendor agnostic way ?

There is a lot of talk about reinventing APIs, building network wide OS
platform, delivering SDNs (whatever it means at any point of time for
one) ... but how about we start with something very basic yet IMHO
necessary to slowly begin thinking of network as one plane.

I understand that historically we had/still have SNMP however I have
never seen this being mandatory section of any standards track document.
Usually SNMP comes 5 years behind (if at all) making it obsolete by design.

NETCONF is great and very flexible communication channel for
provisioning. However it is sufficient to just look at number of ops
lists to see that those who tried to use it quickly abandoned their
efforts due to complete lack of XML schema from each vendor they happen
to use or complete mismatch of vendor to vendor XML interpretation.

And while perhaps this is obvious I do not think that any new single
effort will address this. This has to be an atomic and integral part of
each WG's document.

Looking forward for insightful comments ...

Best,
R.