Re: Proposed Revisions to IETF Trust Administrative Procedures

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Tue, 08 April 2008 20:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:14:55 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Proposed Revisions to IETF Trust Administrative Procedures
Cc: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Russ,

The IETF Trust was set up as an instrument -- a naturally limited scope.

The specific task you identify below ("paying attention to items") could
reasonably be addressed as Harald suggested.

Giving the Trust a chair is at least a step towards acknowledging it as a
separate organization (beyond instrument), and one could then examine
whether the IAOC members are, in fact, the right people to populate it (for
example).  It certainly opens the doors to mission creep.

My point, which I think is in line with something John Klensin said
earlier, is that even though the current IAOC _intends_ this as a simple
administrative change, the fact is it's a structural change that is open to
be taken many places by future IAOCs and IETF communities, also of good
intent.  Given that, it would be nice to understand 1/ that the IAOC has
considered this, and 2/ why other solutions are not considered viable.

Leslie.
P.S.:  Also -- good luck with ever having a "small" meeting -- with 4
Chairs in the room, you'll be looking for end-tables pretty soon ;-)

--On April 7, 2008 3:45:16 PM -0400 Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>