Re: Out-of-area ADs [Re: IETF areas re-organisation steps]

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 26 December 2014 19:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 19:47:37 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Out-of-area ADs [Re: IETF areas re-organisation steps]

Hi Brian,

Just on the generic issues you raised (i.e. not on anima)...

On 26/12/14 18:51, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 26/12/2014 08:25, IETF Chair wrote:
>> The IESG proposes
>> to experiment with this approach initially by shifting to out-of-area ADs for
>> RADEXT, DIME, LMAP, and ANIMA, perhaps with another few WGs to follow.
>
> I have some doubt whether this approach should ever be considered
> normal, rather than exceptional. If it becomes considered normal, it
> would imply that our assignment of WGs to Areas, and of ADs to Areas,
> are often incorrect.

Or that the area definitions need re-examination, or that cross-area
work has become common for some other reason. At minimum, if we have
this tool, and if it's overused, we have another way to detect that
something needs re-adjusting. In fact, I think it'll be more useful
than that myself.

> There is also a practical aspect - meeting scheduling. At the moment,
> a rough-and-ready rule is: never schedule more than 2 sessions for the
> same Area at the same time, which guarantees that an AD is available
> for each sessions. With numerous out-of-area ADs, this aspect of
> scheduling will become very complicated.

Actually that's gotten better with the new tooling that handles
conflicts reasonably well. And in most cases where we've mentioned
possible out-of-area ADs I think we'd likely already have considered
the same conflict.

Cheers,
S.