RE: [tsvwg] QoS and IP everywhere Was: Naive question

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Mon, 09 February 2015 16:41 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@hallambaker.com>, "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>
Subject: RE: [tsvwg] QoS and IP everywhere Was: Naive question
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 16:38:41 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.250.33.67]

I agree - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-diffserv-intercon/ recognizes this, and cleanly separates QoS within a network from what happens at network boundaries, as does ...

> Forgetting the distinction between the network and the inter-network gives us a choice between only network layer everywhere or only packet layer
> everywhere.
>
> If we recognize the border, we might end up with a stack something like this:
>
> ZServ:
>
> A                                   A
> T             Q <-|-> Q             T

Gee, this looks familiar - see RFC 2475 on DiffServ architecture, and in particular the difference that it draws between classification functionality that is appropriate within a network vs. at its edges (i.e., DiffServ recognizes that border).  The DiffServ Intercon draft is trying to iterate across networks, because DiffServ differentiation as currently deployed tends not to cross network boundaries well.

Thanks,
--David