Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

Peter Dambier <peter@peter-dambier.de> Thu, 25 August 2005 20:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:16:20 +0200
From: Peter Dambier <peter@peter-dambier.de>
To: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
Cc: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Stuart Cheshire wrote:

> Putting service discovery requirements aside for a moment, the other big
> difference between mDNS and LLMNR is that mDNS facilitates local-scoped
> names, analogous to RFC 1918 addresses. LLMNR lets you look up a host
> name without a DNS server, but it pre-supposes that you HAVE a globally
> unique fully-qualified host name in the first place. In contrast, mDNS
> says you can call your television "tv.local" if you want, and you don't
> need to pay anyone for that name, or ask permission, or know how to
> register it in some global database, but at the same time the name has
> only local significance so don't expect it to be usable worldwide.
>
> What's weird about LLMNR is that it blurs what's global and what's local.
> With LLMNR you can call your television "tv.ietf.org" if you want, and as
> long as the IETF's name server returns NXDOMAIN (which it does today)
> then a LLMNR-compliant host will fail over to local multicast and resolve
> that name to your television's address. This sends a very strange message
> to end users -- it suggests they can use any name they want in any domain
> they want without having to communicate with any registry. It also means
> that every failed DNS query will result in a LLMNR multicast on the local
> network, and (worse) every intentional LLMNR query needs to be preceded
> by a failed DNS query to some unsuspecting DNS server somewhere.

Here we did have a problem:

In The Public-Root there used to exist a domain ".local". I know at least
of one ISP who complained we did break a lot of windowed PCs.

I dont know why queries for ".local" would leave their private LANs and
reach even our root servers. They did!

That is why we set up a dummy and returned localhost, to get rid of those
bogus queries. That is what finally broke their windows and dropped our
root server traffic some 25%. :)

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
Public-Root