Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org> Thu, 03 July 2008 04:48 UTC

To: SM <sm@resistor.net>
From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
Subject: Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:48:25 +1000
Cc: The IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

> At 15:40 02-07-2008, John C Klensin wrote:
> >Now, for example, I happen to believe that "one-off typing error
> >is guaranteed to yield a false positive", is a more than
> >sufficient _technical_ basis to ban single-alphabetic-letter
> >domains at either the top or second levels and to advise
> >lower-level domains against their use.  Those are technical
> >grounds based on human interface design and information
> >retrieval principles, not "the network will break if that is
> >done".  But few of the recommendations or reservations we might
>
> Some people may question a technical recommendation that is not based
> on "the network will break".
>
> >make fall into that network-breaking latter category.  Even some
> >of those that fall closest to the line involve cases that we
> >could "fix" by modifying our applications protocols to lexically
> >distinguish between domain names and address literals
> >(http://[10.0.0.6]/ anyone?).
>
> Or wait for http://[2001:1890:1112:1::20]/ to catch up.
>
> >But, should those of us who believe that single-letter domains
> >are bad news refrain from advocating for that rule because those
> >who oppose it could use it to discredit other IETF
> >recommendations that might be more important?    I don't know
>
> That's a question to consider before getting into any rule-making.
>
> >The rather odd phrasing there has been the source of a lot of
> >discussion in the past in both selected IETF and ICANN circles.
> >Some of us read it as "TLDs will be alphabetic only -- no
> >digits", not just "cannot be all digits".  The former was
> >certainly the IANA intent when we were discussing RFC 1591.
> >But does it apply today?  Can ICANN override it?  I can assure
> >you that there are groups within ICANN who believe that they can.
>
> RFC 1591 has been swept away by the changes that have taken placed
> since then.  By making a few changes to RFC 5241, we could have a
> document relevant to this topic. :-)
>
> At 16:23 02-07-2008, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >         No sane TLD operator can expect "http://tld" or "user@tld"
> >         to work reliably.  I suspect there are still mail configuations
> >         around that will re-write "user@tld" to "user@tld.ARPA".
>
> http://museum/

	The key word word is "reliably".  http://museum/ can never
	be guarenteed to work.

	I can have museum.example.net with a search list containing
	example.net.  Which one would you expect to match?  Note
	changing the search order to try single labels "as is" first
	is not safe from a security perpective (see RFC 1535 for why
	not) as the introduction of a new TLD will break things.

	Getting rid of search lists is also a show stopper.

> >         Should we be writting a RFC which states that MX and address
> >         records SHOULD NOT be added to the apex of a TLD zone?
>
> The above TLD has an address record.

	It still does not make it a good thing.

> >         Should we be writting a RFC which states that single label
> >         hostnames/mail domains SHOULD NOT be looked up "as is" in
> >         the DNS?
>
> There was a ccTLD operator who expressed the wish for such mail domains.

	And I can wish for a million dollars to be added to my
	savings account.  It doesn't mean I'll get it or that the
	ccTLD operator should get it.

	Mark

> Regards,
> -sm