RE: Review of: draft-iab-dns-applications-01

"Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com> Fri, 22 April 2011 18:57 UTC

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com>
To: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:57:53 -0700
Subject: RE: Review of: draft-iab-dns-applications-01
acceptlanguage: en-US

I concur with many of Dave's review comments here.  My own experience with the IETF starts around the time of SPF and its various successors, nearly all of which use the DNS to store some variants of policy or key data, so this is a topic near and dear to most of my endeavors, and there are more coming.

A couple of other recommendations of my own:

- Where the document enumerates requirements incompatible with the DNS, suggested alternatives might be wise to include, with some (perhaps brief, perhaps not) description of why/how the alternative is more appropriate.

- The issue of detecting administrative boundaries in the DNS keeps reappearing.  This might be good fodder for another document, since that topic plus that of the idea of "public suffix lists" has been recurring with increasing frequency.

- IETF 80's training day included a session about how to go about extending the DNS by registering new types rather than overloading existing ones.  Some of the material presented there might be useful to include here.

-MSK