Re: [Internetgovtech] IANA changes process

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> Wed, 09 April 2014 12:57 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 08:56:54 -0400
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
Subject: Re: [Internetgovtech] IANA changes process
Cc: "internetgovtech@iab.org" <internetgovtech@iab.org>, "ietf@ietf.org List" <ietf@ietf.org>

It's probably worth mentioning that IANA essentially performs the
"registration authority" function that's common to lots of standards
processes.  And it's typically the standards maker that designates the
registration authority (or is the registration authority).  As has been
discussed elsewhere, using the example of credit cards, ISO sets the
numbering standards, and ANSI acts as registration authority for the
issuer database (formerly it was the American Bankers Association).  For
ethernet MAC addresses, IEEE plays both roles.

For IANA functions, IETF is the standards body - and the logical body to
designate and oversee the registration authority - so.... it's certainly
a good idea for the IETF community to weigh in.

Miles Fidelman