Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Tue, 11 September 2018 18:08 UTC

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_Proposed_IESG_Statement_on_the_use_of_the_=e2=80=9cUp?= =?UTF-8?B?ZGF0ZXPigJ0gaGVhZGVy?=
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:08:44 -0500

I can live with this statement, but I don't like it.

I'm in the camp that prefers the more specific "This changes the code
you need to write" camp - I would prefer Update be restricted to the
cases where you are changing the protocol defined in the updated
document in an essential way. The use of extension points doesn't cross
that bar. So, count me as against everything in the second paragraph
beyond the first sentence.

That said, I again note that I can live with what's proposed.

RjS

p.s. I assume you've rehashed previous IESGs discussions of adding a
"See Also" relationship?