Re: Strong objection to draft-ietf-WG-*.all noise levels

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Mon, 09 February 2015 20:12 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 14:11:36 -0600
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Strong objection to draft-ietf-WG-*.all noise levels

Hi Brian:

There are a couple of moving targets in what you're objecting to that I
think we need to be careful to tease apart.

Here's a bit of detail to help with that (I hope):

1) the .all alias includes any address that is covered by any other
generated alias (currently that's .authors, .chairs, .ad, and .notify)

2) the .notify alias is populated directly from the Notify field for a
draft in the tracker. You can see what that's currently set to for a
draft by looking at the "Send notifications to" line on the document's
main page.

3) The IESG directed that when a working group draft begins IESG
processing, the working group be added to the notify field by default. See
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/wgchairs/current/msg12989.html
and
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/wgchairs/current/msg12992.html

So, I _think_ the conversation you need to be having to address your
objection is with the IESG on the decision to add the group to the
default notification list.

That said, there are some things we're doing to the aliases to make
where things are coming from easier to figure out. None of what's below
will change whether a working group gets the state-change notifications,
but it may help explain other aspects of what you've been recently seeing.

4) We're working on providing pages that show the expansions of the
aliases at ietf.org similar to the pages that are at tools.ietf.org.
This isn't happening immediately because the mail processing systems are
different, and there are some extra gears that we're having to incorporate.

5) The most recent datatracker releases have made incremental changes to
the way the aliases are used. In particular, mail sent through the
aliases should end up with fully expanded To header fields at this
point. We are also working on adding the fields (already present when
using @tools.ietf.org aliases) that make it easy to see exactly what
alias got invoked.

6) From the links above, you'll see that part of the  original
implementation was to add .all to the Notify field (in addition to the
working group). That led to some trouble since .all contains .notify -
there's an include loop, and some of the dynamics of integrating with
the mail handling at @ietf.org vs @tools.ietf.org led to not catching
that loop in the right place (this was affecting a few drafts last
week). This has been addressed, both by more careful loop protection,
and by changing what gets put in Notify to not use .all directly.

Again, those last 3 items are just part of the context - they don't
affect the primary concern you're raising. That lives solidly with
spirit of the decision at item 3) above.

RjS