Re: Proposed Update to Note Well

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Fri, 22 June 2012 15:51 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Proposed Update to Note Well
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:51:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.4]
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>

Hi Noel,

"Affiliate" is overly broad, and undefined and therefore not
supported by BCP79.  It cannot be reasonably expected of an IETF
participant to have an objective view of with whom he/she is affiliated.

One (the most?) common definition of "affiliate" used in contracts
results in a sweep in of any corporate entity that is controlled,
or controls, another entity, including individuals.  Recursively.
As there is no definition of "affiliate" in BCP79, we have to assume
such a common definition.

Now, I'm affiliated with IEEE, and so is John Doe, who controls a
patent of which I believe it may be necessary to practice a draft.
I happen to be aware of John Doe's patent because John Doe is a former
colleague of mine, but other than that, and our IEEE memberships, there
Is no other connection between John Doe and myself.  I surely
do not have an disclosure obligation based on our joint affiliation
with IEEE?

Using affiliate would IMO be a policy change through the back door.

I would rather strongly suggest to stick with vocabulary available in
BCP79.
The formulation used in BCP79 is "employer or sponsor".  Wordcount +=2  :-(

Stephan