Re: An oversight function - composition thereof?

Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> Wed, 15 September 2004 09:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:10:50 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: An oversight function - composition thereof?
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> In the report, Scenario C has clearly identified the need for a "board
> of directors" as oversight function for the administrative entity.
>
> Margaret has also pointed out the need for such a function in scenarios
> A and B - and multiple people have made the point that this is NOT a job
> that the selection process for the IESG and IAB is well suited for.
>
> I'd like to hear people's comments:
>
> 1) Do we agree that such a group of people is needed? (I think the
> answer is "yes" - but it's good to check)

Yes, for sure, in all scenarios. In C (and D) it would probably be
the same as (or a superset of) the formal Board.

> 2) What do we think this group should be responsible for, and have the
> power to do - either directly/formally or through "the board advises
> <person with the power>, and person will do so" agreements?

I think the functions should be limited to managerial and financial
oversight. Details don't belong in such a group.

  Set objectives for the Admin Director
  Approve budget and (major) contract proposals by the Admin Director
  Review results obtained by the Admin Director
  Make recommendations to the Admin Director's manager, if needed
  In scenarios C and D, execute the statutory functions of a Board

> 3) What's an appropriate selection mechanism for that group?

Firstly, I'd say that the IETF and IAB Chairs, and one other IESG
and IAB member, should be included automatically. I also think
that the ISOC President/CEO should be included automatically.

Secondly, I would add three other people with both IETF experience
and some degree of management and business experience. I'm worried
about loading the RFC 3777 NomCom with this since they already have
a big, and rather different, job. So I'd be inclined to give
this selection job to the IAB, but using a Nomcom-like procedure.

This gives a slightly larger committee (8 people) than Carl's
proposal. But I think we need solid IAB and IESG presence plus some
independent people.

    Brian