Subject: Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...
From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
To: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Cc: IETF-Discussion <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 14:47:12 +0900
List-Id: IETF-Discussion <ietf.ietf.org>

On 2012/12/03 23:38, Elwyn Davies wrote:

> Given that there is also open source code, reviewers have the chance to
> take a look at that and see the degree of hackiness involved.

Well, yes. It's easy enough to evaluate stuff such as non-descriptive 
variable names, messy indenting, and weird comments.

But there's a catch here: There are so many programming languages that 
it's very well possible that the code is written in a language you don't 
understand. It may be using techniques that are totally accepted for 
that specific language, but in a way that is considered very hacky in 
the relevant community. Or something else. As an outsider, you may have 
no way to evaluate that.

Specs are in English (also a problem for some people, but I hope we can 
leave that to another thread :-), which is at least a single target.

Regards,   Martin.