Re: (long/architectural version) Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-uri-10.txt> (The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) DNS Resource Record) to Proposed Standard

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Wed, 25 February 2015 23:14 UTC

To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Subject: Re: (long/architectural version) Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-uri-10.txt> (The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) DNS Resource Record) to Proposed Standard
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:14:03 +1100
Cc: Patrik Fältström <paf@netnod.se>, ietf@ietf.org

In message <63E6A7996E894E4167393345@JcK-HP8200.jck.com>, John C Klensin writes
:
> Hi.
>
> A few comments about, or inspired by, this draft.  Note that
> these comments raise issues that go well beyond the particular
> URI draft/proposal.  I consider it more important that the
> community address those issues than that any particular decision
> be made about them for this draft.    These comments are
> insensitive to the differences between -10 and -11 although I
> believe -11 is an improvement.  My approval recommendation
> appears in a separate, shorter, note posted two days ago
> although some of the comments below (particularly item (3),
> which recommends removing a section) qualify that recommendation
> a bit.  That note should probably be read before this one.
>
> While I believe this specification represents a step forward
> given the path we are on, it seems to me to raise several
> troubling issues.  This note is an attempt to address four of
> those issues, in no particular order:
>
> (1) Integrity of the standards process.
>
> (2) Iterative DNS use
>
> (3) The state of DDDS and further complicating NAPTR
>
> (4) URIs, URLs, URNs, and the future
>
> So...
>

> (1)  Integrity of the standards process.
>
> For many years, it was a key IETF principle that standardization
> of a particular technology meant that the community had been
> able to review all of the details, make changes where needed,
> and then reach rough consensus on the result.  The notion of
> registering an RRTYPE via Expert Review and then turning around
> and asking that it be standardized while claiming that details
> (or even design principles) cannot be changed because it is
> already registered and in use represents a fundamental departure
> from and threat to our historical standardization model.  No
> malice is implied here, just a bad sequence of steps.   I don't
> know that it makes a lot of difference how this particular spec
> is classified, but, noting that the same situation could apply
> to a number of other specifications where registration is by
> expert review (Media Types come to mind as do URIs and, if
> 2141bis is approved in more or less its current form, URNs), it
> seems to me that the IETF needs to address this issue, perhaps
> confining specifications for already registered names to
> Informational or Experimental categories and figuring out an
> alternative to expert review for specs that people will want on
> the standards track.

There is no requirement to use expert review.  The full blown rfc
process is still available.  If you use expert review however the
format of the record is fixed when the review is done.  [ For the
record the format of the record changed which was annoying for those
of us that wrote explict code to handle the type.  The reference
for the type will need to be updated if it hasn't been done. ]

> (IESG: Please note the interaction between this issue and
> draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis.)
>
> Several of the comments below might have been more relevant at
> registration time, but, since the spec is going through Last
> Call for Proposed Standard, it is at least reasonable to expect
> that the spec address and explain the issues involved.
>

> (2)  Iterative DNS use
>
> While I wouldn't argue that everything was gotten right, the
> original DNS design was structured to minimize the possibility
> of multiplicative latency associated with making an arbitrary
> number of lookup trips after a particular domain name was
> encountered.  MX records are restricted to use only primary
> names (no aliases) in RDATA precisely to avoid having to do a
> third or fourth lookup.

Actually they are restricted to using the primary name so that MTA's
can process the MX list without having to lookup any of the target
names.  SMTP is a store-and-forward protocol.  Note: primary name
means the name the machine knows itself as.  This should have address
records.  This allows you to decide what to do with a single MX
lookup with possible fallback lookups for A and AAAA records when
you get back a noerror nodata response to the MX lookup.

Multiple lookups are secondry to this consideration.

SRV has the same restrictions in-case any protocol that wishes to
use it is working in a store-and-forward mode.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org