RE: IETF 107 and Corona Virus? - timezone

"Roni Even (A)" <roni.even@huawei.com> Mon, 17 February 2020 08:11 UTC

From: "Roni Even (A)" <roni.even@huawei.com>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, "avri@acm.org" <avri@acm.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: IETF 107 and Corona Virus? - timezone
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 08:11:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.200.202.72]

Hi Christian,
I agree with your points, I was pointing out the time zone issue and the "virtual jetleg" but as you mentioned having long virtual conferences has other issues

I have been part of the video conferencing industry since the early 1990's with special focus on multipoint sessions.
One the selling points for video conferencing for the enterprise market was the reeducation in travel (cost) and being "green" solution.
It turns out that there is a reductions of travel when modern telepresence are deployed but it did not replace business travel. It had to do with the type of the meeting.
For short meetings (couple of hours) one on one or small group meeting it works well.  The problem starts for couple of days conferences with multiple presentations and many participants.
The point you made about the audio quality is on aspect. When you are in a f2f situation you have eye contact, and can see every gesture which is part of the communication. The telepresence systems (see CLUE WG) try to address it by enabling "life size" view of the meeting attendance and having means to focus on the speaker and having directional microphones that can pick the audio from the active speaker. The points you made about the QUIC interim demonstrate the problem of feeling outside of the meeting as a remote participant, it has to do with the layout of the meeting, one room with many people and the structure of the meeting which is not like an IETF session when there is a presenter and questions are handled at the mic, so you can hear and see the active speaker. In the QUIC interim sitting situation everyone speaks from his place it becomes harder to follow.
As for having an IETF meeting as a virtual meeting, it can be by using a number of sites each with multiple participants , this mode requires good video and audio infrastructure in the meeting rooms and a conference moderator that will manage the right to speak.  A more challenging case will be if the idea is to allow anyone who wants to join to do it and have multipoint video conference. Today with meetecho we support remote presenters and remote participants having the working group chair serve as moderators, still most of the participants are local, this will  not scale well if instead of having a room with 100 local participants and about 10 form remote we will have 110 remote participants .

So there are two issue with virtual meetings: different time zones ("virtual jetleg") and the quality of the experience. I hope that in the near future with VR technology will allow for large multipoint conference and that the Internet Infrastructure will provide the members with the bandwidth needed for such application.

Roni Even