Re: my summary of discussion regarding IETF #100

John Curran <jcurran@istaff.org> Fri, 03 June 2016 12:55 UTC

Subject: Re: my summary of discussion regarding IETF #100
From: John Curran <jcurran@istaff.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 08:54:57 -0400
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, Tony Hain <alh-ietf@tndh.net>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

+1 to Tony’s statement (and for invocation of BCP 14 :-)

There are hard requirements and there are soft requirements.

If in a particular year no meeting venue can be found _anywhere_ that meets the
hard requirements, then the IETF shouldn’t meet (yes, I understand that this is quite
unlikely, but the point is that hard requirements such as the safety of the participants
and ability to travel there at all (visas) or ability to provide for remote participation are
essential to the point that their absolute requirement should be clearly documented.)

Nearly everything else (suitability of the venue for participants' family members,
local governments beliefs in equality or climate change, relative cost of travel
or accommodations, etc.) need to be considered as desirable goals and weighed
_in total_.  It is not an easy job for the IAOC, and hopefully they’ll gain insight from
increased engagement with the community (& the abundant feedback), but at the
end of the day they need to be able to select sites that meet the hard requirements
and be left to their best judgement on maximizing satisfaction of the additional soft
criteria.

It is possible to find political objections to nearly any country, and if it is not careful,
the IETF risks having its fine protocol development work be made secondary to its
emerging political advocacy initiatives – an outcome that would represent far greater
loss to global community given the enormous role of the Internet as mechanism for
social change and understanding.

/John

Disclaimer: my views alone - critique not only accepted but encouraged.