Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

Time Warner Cable <Lee@asgard.org> Wed, 10 August 2016 15:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:35:14 -0400
Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt
From: Time Warner Cable <Lee@asgard.org>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

I don't like this update.

Almost every sentences uses the passive voice. I think the use of "can," "are often," "do not have to be," and so on, is an awkward attempt to work around the use of the keywords as currently defined, or as redefined. These two usages do not help readability and clarity.

How does this update affect interpretation of existing documents?

It's ironic, I think, that the active voice clause, "Authors who follow these guidelines should incorporate this phrase" uses an uncapitalized "should," and I think it should be a "MUST."

To Scott's semi-serious suggestion to deprecate "SHOULD," I'm hesitant. If there were another word for "do this unless you have a really good reason not to," I'd go for it. "Reasons not to" must be documented wherever possible, though sometimes not all reasons can be foreseen (see what I did there?).

To another comment in the thread: I imagine that setting a reader to emphasize all caps would be annoying when reading specs with pronounceable acronyms.

Lee