Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-07.txt>

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 18 February 2016 13:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 08:42:49 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-07.txt>

Paul (and others),

There is no question that the email-addrquery draft needs work,
even the author has said so.  I've tried to start a thread on
the SMTP list that identifies some possible issues to be
examined.  If you want to have a constructive conversation about
that draft, please move it there.  Probably it would be best to
wait for the next draft and comment on it rather than attacking
-01.

None of this is relevant to the proposed experiment advocated by
dane-openpgpkey unless you want to try to convert this
discussion into "dane-openpgpkey is no worse than
email-addrquery, therefore it should be approved".  I suggest
not going there because the IETF doesn't need to approve _any_
flawed protocol and, be being in Last Call, there is a claim
that dane-openpgpkey is finished and ready to go, a claim that
has never been made for email-addrquery.

I'll respond to your comment below if you want to make it on the
SMTP list, but suggest that the description of _any_
key-location or key-retrieval must mechanism be clear about the
difference between obtaining a purported key and determining its
validity for some intended use in order to be taken seriously.
This thread periodically seems to lose track of that distinction.

     john

--On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 22:24 -0500 Paul Wouters