RE: IETF Website Redesign Effort

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Thu, 08 May 2008 20:26 UTC

Subject: RE: IETF Website Redesign Effort
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:25:16 -0700
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Actually this represents currently accepted engineering practice in the
usability field.

According to Nielsen you can identify 80% of issues with small scale
studies of 5 people. The point here is not to create a statistically
representative sample, it is to identity the chief issues that may be of
concern.

You should always do a pre-survey before you do the main run or else you
will fail to ask the right questions.

Now I do have a big problem with the practice of publishing 'scientific
studies' on the basis of small sample sizes. You can get a paper
published in the security usability field on the basis of three samples
of 9 persons each. That is actually one of the larger studies. But that
is a different matter and in any case they have rather more
methodological issues to deal with than sample size.