RE: Re: OFF TOPIC - Bail money for IETF 64?

"Nicholas Staff" <nick.staff@comcast.net> Mon, 19 September 2005 01:19 UTC

From: Nicholas Staff <nick.staff@comcast.net>
To: 'John Loughney' <john.loughney@kolumbus.fi>, 'Stephen Sprunk' <stephen@sprunk.org>, lmahan@designwest.com, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:18:46 -0700
Subject: RE: Re: OFF TOPIC - Bail money for IETF 64?
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

> > Even though I benefit from this change, I disagree with it
> in principle
> > because there are too many people out there running around calling
> > themselves "engineers" who don't have a clue.  If/when there are a
> > non-trivial number of schools offerring degrees in network
> engineering,
> > systems engineering, software engineering, etc. I (and many
> others) will be
> > lobbying to have the exemption repealed.

The whole repeal effort is based on a faulty idea that everyone who is an
official engineer and graduated a 4 year program to become one is actually
qualified.  It ignores the fact that the vast majority of doctors, lawyers,
and rocket scientists aren't fit to put on band-aids, argue parking tickets,
or say "we have lift-off".  Besides it's not like software engineers try to
trick people into thinking they are architectural engineers, it's not like
they're gigling to themselves at the thought of this grand deceit.  Lastly
technology of all fields is an area where it's very plausible to be
exceptional without any formal education as it's one of the few
"engineering" fields you can learn through trial and error without
consequences (provided it's your own environment you're learning in).
Anyway, whatever happens in Texas they will still always be system engineers
and software engineers and some of them will be better than you and I and
some of them will have single nine uptime.

> Probably less harm comes from this than if people were
> running around calling themselves Doctors - or Federal
> Emergency Managers - without proper qualifications ...

Agreed.

Nick