Re: [RFC 959] FTP in ASCII mode

"Sandeep Srivastava" <sandeep.kumar.srivastava@gmail.com> Tue, 21 February 2006 07:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:53:32 +0530
From: Sandeep Srivastava <sandeep.kumar.srivastava@gmail.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 959] FTP in ASCII mode

First of all thanks to everybody for the response.

I knew that a FTP transfer in ASCII mode does EOL and EOF conversions based
on the OS of the receiving system. And I very much expected my UTF-8 encoded
file to get garbled when I FTPied it in ASCII mode. But guess what, it was
not garbled on the receiving system. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe its because
UTF-8 is backward compatible with ASCII. But then, as ASCII is purely
7-bits, the FTP in ASCII mode should have corrupted the UTF-8 encoded file,
because UTF-8 is 8-bits.

Moreover, in ASCII code page, code point 13=CR and code point 10=LF, but
that might not be the case in every other code page. Hence the EOL
conversion (in FTP ASCII mode) might corrupt that text file if it is encoded
using a non-ASCII encoding. And what about handling the Unicode NewLine
characters? Anyway...

After reading all the wonderful replies, my conclusion is, even though my
FTP client/server handled the UTF-8 encoded text file (which BTW contained
Devanagri characters) correctly, there is a possibility that a text file,
encoded in an encoding other than ASCII runs a risk of being corrupted when
FTPied in ASCII mode. Therefore, always use ASCII mode to transfer only
ASCII encoded files, and Binary mode to transfer non-ASCII encoded files.

I was wondering why isn't there something like a "Text" mode for FTPing text
files, which could handle text files encoded using any encoding available in
this world, and then, the FTP client/server still does the EOL and EOF
conversions properly?

Thanks,
Sandeep.