Re: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)

Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com> Thu, 27 March 2003 01:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:03:05 -0800
Subject: Re: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)
Cc: Michel Py <michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us>, The IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
To: David Conrad <david.conrad@nominum.com>
From: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

Hi David,
	Provider of what?  Note that if a provider of address space is not
routing the addresses involved, they have few or no performance
responsibilities in the arena.  They don't even need to polish and
regrind
the digits periodically; they just go.  It seems unlikely to me
personally that you
would change providers for performance reasons.
	Back to money. If you are getting a slice of the globally unique
address space from someone to whom it has been delegated, you
may pay them for the privilege.   Those fees could go up, and in that
case, a network might decide to renumber into a cheaper provider's
space to avoid costs.  Given that they are all derived from the same
sources
and the lack of scarcity in the resource, though, its hard to see this
as a
major problem, unless  scarcity is created artificially. That would be a
matter for policy debate with the allocating agencies, though, not the
IETF.
	If you were using some of an allocated portion as routable addresses
and some as unrouted addresses, you might be forced to change the
unrouted addresses as a consequences of choosing someone new to carry
the traffic from the routed portions of your network.  That would carry
the same pain of renumbering it always does.
						regards,
								Ted