Re: How IETF treats contributors

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> Wed, 01 September 2004 05:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:23:23 -0400
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
To: Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: How IETF treats contributors
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

"Vixie trusts himself"--Yet another self-authenticated claim.

It is an important question "who to trust".  I would trust people who
don't lie, who don't associate with liars, and who don't make
questionable changes to critical infrastructure without appropriate
technical discussion.  People who don't have a history of trust
violations:

	1) Deployment of Anycast to DNS Root servers without discussion on
any IETF DNS list.  The other Root operators no doubt trusted Vixie to
discuss it with others. He didn't.

	2) Alteration of the BIND 9 AXFR implementation so that it no
longer interoperates with other DNS Nameserver implmentations. This was
done without discussion.  Well after deploying Bind 9, Vixie finally came
to the DNSEXT group to ask for an alteration to the AXFR specification.
This was the first discussion of the change.  The proposed alteration to
AXFR was rejected.

	3) Associates with known disreputable people including
court-proven liars such Alan Brown.  Mr. Vixie tells people falsely that
Av8 Internet IP Address blocks are hijacked.  This is an intentional,
willful false claim: it isn't a mistake, or an oversight, or a "false
positive".  Vixie tries to avoid legal responsibility by a claim of being
operated from Australia.

	4) Used the MAPS RBL to block non-spam email from Exactis,
resulting in the Exactis V. MAPS suit.  This was a violation of the trust
of those who were misled to believe that MAPS was an anti-spam list rather
than a personal revenge list.  Vixie still asserts that blacklists and
ISPs can block email from anyone for any reason, misleading people.

This is just the short list.

		--Dean