Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09.txt> (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry) to BCP

David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org> Sun, 30 January 2011 18:49 UTC

Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09.txt> (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry) to BCP
From: David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:52:13 -0800
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>, tsvwg@ietf.org

Cullen,

On Jan 29, 2011, at 8:54 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>> AFAICT, the experts team reports to IANA. We make recommendations to
>> them. They are the ones who have the conversation with the applicant.
>> They can take our advice or not - that's their decision.
>
> I think you are pretty misrepresenting the situation. My impression of the reality of the situation is that if the IANA did not like the advice of the expert reviewer, they might ask the AD to override but short of that they pretty much do whatever the expert says.

Joe is closer.

In general, IANA staff are not technical experts in any of the wide variety of areas for which they are asked to provide registry services.  As such, they rely on technical experts to provide input/advice/recommendations.  In the past, there were some very rare cases in which the advice provided by the technical experts was deemed insufficient and IANA staff looked to the ADs or the IESG for additional input.  However, at least historically, IANA staff viewed the maintenance of the registries as their responsibility (at the direction of the IESG), not the technical experts' responsibility. I would be surprised if this had changed.

Regards,
-drc