Re: [rfc-i] New proposal/New SOW comment period

Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net> Wed, 04 September 2019 03:26 UTC

From: Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>
Subject: Re: [rfc-i] New proposal/New SOW comment period
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 20:26:08 -0700
Cc: rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org, ietf@ietf.org
To: Michael StJohns <msj@nthpermutation.com>

Hi Mike,
	Please see inline.

> On Sep 2, 2019, at 12:24 PM, Michael StJohns <msj@nthpermutation.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/30/2019 3:39 PM, Sarah Banks wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>> 	Some thoughts, inline. Speaking for myself. SB//
>
> Not really.  Seriously - you're the author of the SOW with the RSOC so this is direct commentary on your work product.

SB// I'm honestly perplexed by this response. I am speaking for myself and my comments are not representing RSOC consensus, which I would relay with the RSOC chair hat on. I also believe it's perfectly permissible for me to have a voice without my chair hat on. I honestly expect you to know this, which makes me think there's something else at play here, and we have a disconnect; am I missing something?

>>> On Aug 30, 2019, at 10:30 AM, Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net <mailto:mstjohns@comcast.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Five immediate large items:
>>>

>>> 0) The requirements for this position are pretty much indistinguishable from that of the RSE as stated in previous versions of the SOW.   I don't think that makes sense.  If this is simply a "we want to hire some short time to do the RSE position", then state that rather than using the figleaf of strategic and tactical.  I'm not saying you'll get community buy-in for that, but at least it would be less obfuscated.
>>
>> SB// The thought here was as intended; specifically on tactical, and nothing more. It IS focused on what the current RSE does tactically - I'm not sure how we change that until the community has a conversation about the role. I'm all ears and open to suggestions, though!
> I don't think you've actually thought through the tactical items well enough for the community to give you a thumbs up or down.
>
> So some additional questions:
>
>     a) Does this contract end with the RSE contract is let?

The SOW clearly calls for a firm initial term. I believe I've also followed up since stating there might be overlap. Help me understand where the confusion is here? Have I overlooked something?
>     b) Does the RSE regain most of the tactical stuff?

Your question assumes outcome of the community process. I have no idea what that outcome is. This is a TEMPORARY role. There's nothing to "take" away from the next RSE, should we the community choose to continue to have one. I'm being somewhat obtuse on purpose - the SOW is NOT a comment on what happens with the next RSE or the process or any of that - the SOW covers the specific work items laid out, with the ability to adjust them by mutual consent should something arise, and allow RFCs to continue flowing while we, the community, figure out what we want to do.

>     c) If so, there's an end product that needs to be requested - the hand-over documentation.

This might be a reasonable addition to add to the SOW. Let's see what others think.

>     d) Does acting as the tactical person prevent you from bidding on the RSE?  If not, why not?   [E.g. insider knowledge vs fairness of the bid process]

The SOW doesn't take a position on this, and IMHO, that's a good thing. We want the best person for the job. Any incumbent would have "insider knowledge", in that they know how the process works, and are already sitting in the job. I don't think this is our biggest problem to solve, or a huge problem in and of itself. That's my opinion. If the rest of the community feels differently they can say so and we'll discuss.

>     e) Can you think of any of these items to eliminate as "can wait for an RSE"?  If not, then see my original question (0).

I don't understand what the "items to eliminate" are? The SOW is specific in it's 2 goals, which I've already stated again in this email. They cannot wait, hence the SOW.

>>> 1) Is this a full time position?  If not, then describe the expected workload.   From the description, its a level of effort contract somewhat less than full time.  State that level.
>>
>> SB// The RSOC in years past has specifically stayed out of the "how long does it take to do the job" and the "this is a 32-hour-a-week" job. I'd defer this to the LLC; if the person they're hiring is a contractor I'm not sure this matters, since they're bidding on the total amount of work (that's been the thought) versus the employee who clearly needs to understand if this is a part time or full time job.
>
> I can't see how this could be let as a firm fixed price contract or even a piece work or deliverable task contract.  I think this is an LOE contract with meta deliverables.  You're going to want some of this persons time to be committed, and you're going to want to tell them up front what that time commitment is.   I think figuring out what that LOE is is squarely in the wheelhouse of the SOW authors.

Your opinion is noted, thank you.

<snip>

>> SB// The goal is to have the conversation as a group, and figure out what to do. if we don't want a managed RFC Editor, but the independent model that folks believe we should have, then as a community we should say that, and figure out how to instrument what we want. Personally, I like the spirit of what was described to me starting with Postel, and having some independence from being told what to do blindly with the ability to push back doesn't seem to be a bad thing. But that's my personal thought, and as an RSOC it's not our current purview to tell the community what to do.
> I agree, however, the RSOC seems to have taken it as a purview to diminish the independence of the RSE from previous levels.  If the RSOC (and for that matter) would take a look at what it was fall of 2016 vs how its been behaving vis a vis the RSE since that point in time, I'd be much happier with your statement that you don't tell the community what to do.

Mike, what exactly do you want? Honestly, what is it? I believe the RSOC made a mistake. We publicly and very specifically said that we made the mistake, owned it, and apologized. I am incapable of undoing that mistake, it is what it is. That said, I believe the RSOC has been very thoughtful in it's actions since, starting with the feedback we've received, drafting a new SOW, and IMO clearly stating that the SOW is specifically a temporary position that allows us to keep RFC's flowing while the community figures out "what's next". I'm at a loss to understand how we're telling the community what to do.

This is starting to feel a little more personal, and while I'm happy to have this conversation with you, I'm no longer willing to do it on a public list. I believe it would be more productive to do 1 on 1, and I'm happy to meet and talk whenever is convenient for you. I want your opinion and your feedback. You've been here a very long time, and have a perspective that's steeped in an experience that I'm not sure everyone else understands. I value that, and I'm not trying to stifle that, but I am trying to keep it productive for both of us.

>> We're trying to strike a balance between the process we have, which keeps our contractors moving and documents flowing, and allowing the community to do its thing. This position "reporting" to the LLC makes little sense to me - 1. that's not the current process we have (and if you don't like it, speak up and change it, Ted's outlined how we might proceed to doing that) and 2. The LLC really isn't equipped to handle it either.
> See my note to Stephen.  Basically, I think it may be OK to have the RSOC operate as a COTR under the purview of the LLC with no ability to tell the RSE what to do, but instead acts as an advisor to the LLC for contract issues.  That gives whoever gets hired one and only one point of control to deal with.   I'd also suggest that the RSOC no longer do the "we're talking about contracts in executive session" stuff and instead call for community input every couple of years or so and write a public report detailing pros and cons based on that input (and specifically no anonymous input) as the basis for the LLC to make its decisions.  6635 is not controlling on the LLC as they are the fiduciaries - but the community might not like that interpretation.  They could adopt 6635 as an operating instruction by vote of the board, but I don't see that as having taken place.

That's your point of view, *a* point of view, and I think it's reasonable for this to be a part of the conversation that we have as a community to decide how we want things to change. If we agree as a community on it then I suppose bigger changes are coming. But I'll point out that it's outside the purview of this SOW.

>> The RSOC seems to be the reasonable choice given the situation we find ourselves in, and again, this is a 1.5 year contract with clearly described goals.
> "clearly described goals" is overstating it I would say.  Sorry.
>
> Mike

There's a saying I have on my team - don't come to me with problems, come with solutions. It's perfectly acceptable to not agree with what I said, If you feel it's not "clearly described goals" then please, propose text for the rest of us to review and agree upon that leaves you comfortable with the goals being clearly stated. I'm happy to help review.

Thanks,
Sarah