Re: eating our own dogfood...Re: IPv4 Outage

Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU> Wed, 19 December 2007 05:28 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:27:38 -0800
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
To: Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu>
Cc: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>, ietf@ietf.org, Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Subject: Re: eating our own dogfood...Re: IPv4 Outage

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 12:05:36AM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:

> > > Ok, so I'm sure this is a REALLY dumb question, but what has prevented
> > > anyone from taking the informatoin from www.root-servers.org and
> > > creating a named.boot file with both the A and AAAA records for the
> > > root nameservers, and started telling people to install it?
> >
> > 	named.boot is not used after the priming succeeds.
>
> Ah, right.  So that's why we would need to hijack the root zone
> information --- so we can add the AAAA records to the root zones.
>
> OK, next stupid question?  Why aren't the AAAA records being published
> in the official root zone today?  Is there some good reason, like say
> the size of the records returned for the root zone being too big?  And
> is something being done to address whatever reasons might exist,
> whether they are at the technical or political layer?
>
> 						- Ted

	indeed.
	I point to the the RSSAC(*) meeting minutes from Chicago
	and Vancouver for the ICANN statements as to why the AAAA
	records for the root servers have not been added to date.

	e.g. its not a technical problem.

	the good news is that the issue is on the ICANN board meeting
	for the 18th.  One can only hope that the pending requests
	will be approved ... then the IETF/IAB won't have to have the
	problem of publicly supporting a unified root/namespace and
	practically having to hijack the space to get the functionality
	desired.

(*)  http://www.rssac.org

--
--bill