NomCom Input - Re: List of volunteers for the 2021-2022 NomCom

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Sat, 17 July 2021 01:22 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 03:22:17 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Cc: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Subject: NomCom Input - Re: List of volunteers for the 2021-2022 NomCom

If i may bluntly and likely self-serving (given how it looks i may be
of this years NomCom) hijack this thread.

IMHE, _the_ main criteria by which NomCom members judge
candidates is feedback about the candidates from the community.
I hope and think this is much more important for the outcome
than the affiliations of who gets elected into NomCom.

To that end, it would be great if everybody who has an opinion about
NomCom results - yes, that is you reading this email ! ;-) -
will be putting together input to NomCom when the time comes.
Candidate proposals and feedback.

I am saying this because different sponsors may be differently good
in supporting their IETF contributors to do community service in the
IETF, all the way from top leadership, WG-chairs reviewers down to NomCom.
This especially applies to smaller, even just one-person self-employed
contributors ("hmm, do i really want this employee MySelf to spend
time on this process/community thing... nah, let's not").

Aka: there is participation bias all around the organization for many
reasons, many of them good or otherwise necessary, but some biases are
IMHO just so irrelevant compared to others.  Like NomCom member company
affiliation stats bias vs. NomCom input stats bias.

Now, where do i ask for the next click for IETF112 registration:

( ) I promise to provide feedback for NomCom.

(half kidding).

Cheers
    Toerless

--