Re: spam on old lists - was [89attendees] Fw: new important message

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es> Fri, 15 April 2016 17:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:27:10 +0200
Subject: Re: spam on old lists - was [89attendees] Fw: new important message
From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
To: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

I think the problem is bigger than that.

I’ve not checked those specific emails headers, but some time ago, I noticed that subscribers of IETF using DNS-BL black listed email servers were allowed to post.

This means that if a spammer is subscribed, or an actual subscriber infected with a virus/bot/whatever, he is able to send all kind of rubbish to the list.

As a consequence of that, because my email server is configured to reject messages that have an IP in any header which is DNS-BL, then my email address was unsubscribed.

I exchanged a few email with AMS and IAOC, and suggested that we MUST reject any sender that is black listed. NEVER got a response back from the IAOC, despite having been told that they will take care of that.

Again: I really think we must reject emails coming from DNS-BL black listed servers.

Is up to each postmaster to make sure that the IP addresses of his/her servers are not listed in DNS-BL and his network free of malware that can create problems to others.

May be some day, someone at the IAOC can take care of this … instead of ignoring our complains.

Regards,
Jordi