Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 11 September 2018 16:40 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 11:40:48 -0500
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
To: tom petch <daedulus@btconnect.com>

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 11:31 AM, tom petch <daedulus@btconnect.com> wrote:
>
> Ben
>
> I don't understand it! In particular
>
> 'Normative updates that do not use a known extension point should always
> include an “Updates” header.'
>
> leaves me ignorant.
>
> 'Normative' I am well familiar with from I-D references but that meaning
> does not seem to apply here (since Normative as a Reference means you
> must understand the referenced work)..
>
> '..known extension point..' I am not familiar with except for a rather
> technical discussion which I read - but did not understand - on this
> list recently.

A known extension point is any mechanism in the original RFC designed to allow extensibility without modifying the RFC. IANA registered code points are a common approach. Feature negotiation mechanisms also come to mind.

Can you suggest a better term for this?

> To give a practical problem; when an I-D adds new entries to an existing
> registry, is that an 'Updates'?  I have seen ADs firmly tell WG Chairs,
> holding the contrary opinion, that it is not, and I thought that that
> was settled, but applying this statement to that situation leaves me in
> ignorance.

The intent is that these are usually not “Updates”. But they can be if there are special circumstances, which I presume would be documented in the text that describes the nature of the update. An individual AD may or may not agree with an argument that a particular update is “special” in this sense, but I believe we all agree that such special cases are in the realm of possibility.

Thanks!

Ben.