Re: IAOC -- looking for committee volunteers

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 20 July 2016 11:52 UTC

Subject: Re: IAOC -- looking for committee volunteers
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:52:12 +0200

I think it's great that we're drawing community members into the IAOC
discussions.

One of the things that I find missing from this invitation is an
indication of the level of commitment required to participate: how much
time investment will be required? Does the position include travel; and,
if so, is it mandatory? What I'm most worried about here is that people
are going to have their own assumptions around these kind of
requirements, which might discourage exactly those most capable of
introducing diversity into the IAOC committees. (To draw a clear and
straight line: the people who can comfortably assume that they can take
on such load without worrying about resources are exactly the same kind
of people who currently comprise the IAOC).

Also, while I understand that it's something of a dead horse, I think
one of the things that the IETF 100 discussions threw into relief is
that the existing committees are quite homogeneous: unless I'm mistaken,
all nine Meetings Committee members are white males from the US or
Western Europe. Adding community volunteers, if done right, may serve to
increase diversity; however, by sheer numbers, adding one or two people
to a group of nine will make, at best, a very small change to its
composition. Has the IAOC considered perhaps replacing existing
committee members rather than adding new members? It seems that this
could broaden the impact of community involvement and strengthen the
impact of improved diversity that may result.

/a