SPF TYPE support

Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net> Mon, 19 August 2013 21:14 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:10:27 -0400
From: Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net>
To: Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>
Subject: SPF TYPE support
Cc: spfbis@ietf.org, Måns Nil sson <mansaxel@besserwisser.org>, ietf@ietf.org

Hi,

I'm having a hard time with both sides of the argument, especially the
supposed existence of an "interop problem" which seems to only highlight
how to "procedurally" stump the SPF type advocates with a "error
correction" standpoint.   What is that error by the way?

I don't believe there was an adequate answer from the advocates of
removing the SPF RR type and the repeated assertion that its been
discussed at length has not been convincing it was appropriately
addressed. It all seem to be a "Shut up" approach to the problem (always
suggest that its been discussed already). This seems to be one of the
reasons why the issue will not go away.

My take is that the initial MARID design expectations were being met.
This fact is a very important design consideration in all this; the
original expectation for a TXT/SPF migration, although very slowly,
there were some deployments administratively (publishers) and
technically (processors). I would like to point out the lack of a
majority does not/should not represent a lack of interest.

In my estimation, the WG did receive positive support expressing sincere
technical interest in adding support for the SPF record type primarily
because there was some level of adoption discovered during the "interop"
report work.  Please include us (SSI) as having interest in
enabling/adding SPF record support.

I recommend the following to be considered to basically allow
implementators to decide:

1) Continue with the TXT/SPF migration plan, fix up this plan,

2) Address any technical protocol issue with using an SPF type,

3) Add implementation designs notes on the pros and cons.

This will allow coders to add the optimized logic for usage.  It will
also allow for new problem solving seeds to be laid down. It will
hopefully get the DNS software vendors to finally add direct support for
unnamed TYPE support (query and passthru) not only for SPF but for
future DNS application protocols.

Finally, which is what I have been trying to get - why hasn't the IETF
taking this issue (unnamed type support) very serious?

This is an integration DNS issue - not just an SPF issue. If the DNS
vendors don't address this, this, to me, would be the only logical and
feasible reason to remove the SPF type or even bother with any new RR
type concept.  The interop problem cited to exist within RFC 4408 is not
convincing to me.

Overall, as an early adopter, the only reason my package doesn't have
SPF support was purely for short term optimizations and lack of servers
with unnamed type processing support - no mas.   If we remove SPF
support, then we lost it forever.  I don't think we have viewed a
possible long term solution from an integrated protocol standpoint.

--
HLS