RE: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

"Glen Zorn" <glenzorn@comcast.net> Thu, 29 May 2008 02:36 UTC

From: Glen Zorn <glenzorn@comcast.net>
To: 'Ray Pelletier' <rpelletier@isoc.org>
Subject: RE: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:34:18 +0700
Cc: 'Working Group Chairs' <wgchairs@ietf.org>, 'IAB' <iab@ietf.org>, 'IETF Discussion' <ietf@ietf.org>, 'IAOC' <iaoc@ietf.org>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, 'RFC Editor' <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Ray Pelletier <rpelletier@isoc.org> writes:

> The IETF Trust is considering applying to the U.S. Library of Congress
> to obtain an International Standard Serial Number (ISSN) for the RFC
> Series and would like community input to inform its decision.  The
> Trust
> may take up this matter on June 11th.

This idea doesn't seem harmful, at least, but I question the utility of
making references to the RFC series "compact and globally unique" or making
such references easier to construct.  I suppose that someone somewhere has
referenced the entire RFC series (as opposed to a small set of RFCs) but
I've never actually seen it...