Re: Single-letter names

Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@abenaki.wabanaki.net> Tue, 08 July 2008 16:11 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 23:49:42 -0500
From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@abenaki.wabanaki.net>
To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Single-letter names
Cc: "idna-update@alvestrand.no" <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Ted,

As Edmond pointed out, the position at present is that:

"Single and two-character U-labels on the top level and second level of a domain name should not be restricted in general."

I personally expect that for applications made as "IDN ccTLD", whether
"fasttrack" or not, will be reviewed for some "meaning". It is my
understanding however, that in general, an application for a generic TLD
is not, in the plan of record, presently reviewed for "meaning", at
least, not in any sense that would preclude a single Unicode glyph.

Example, the Cree character for the "i" vowel (a delta triangle),
encoded as xn--zce, is a "single character", and has no "sense" other
than a vowel, is allowable, as is the ascii character sequence "iii",
which also has no "sense" other than a (repeated) vowel.

Your milage may vary, etc.

Eric