Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Thu, 13 September 2018 22:28 UTC

Subject: Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 17:28:34 -0500

On 9/13/18 5:09 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
>> On Sep 11, 2018, at 1:08 PM, Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> wrote:
>>
>> I can live with this statement, but I don't like it.
>>
>> I'm in the camp that prefers the more specific "This changes the code you need to write" camp - I would prefer Update be restricted to the cases where you are changing the protocol defined in the updated document in an essential way. The use of extension points doesn't cross that bar. So, count me as against everything in the second paragraph beyond the first sentence.
> I note that several people have agreed with this point or made similar points. I’d like to test what counts as “updating a document in an essential way”. Consider the following scenarios:
>
> A) Critical bug fixes that impact all implementations of a protocol.
> B) Critical bug fixes to an optional feature from the original RFC. It does not impact code that didn’t implement the option in the first place.
> C) A modular extension that mitigates a security or network congestion issue in the base protocol. We really want people to implement it, but introduce it as a negotiated extension to avoid a fork-lift change.
> D) A change to security considerations and/or operational considerations that, while not changing the protocol, significantly changes the environment it can be safely used in.
> E) A modular extension that adds a new, optional feature.
>
> Which of these needs an “Updates” header? I imagine most people agree that A does and that E does not. What about the ones in between?
Skipping this for now so I can make a quick reply to what's below.

>> That said, I again note that I can live with what's proposed.
>>
>> RjS
>>
>> p.s. I assume you've rehashed previous IESGs discussions of adding a "See Also" relationship?
> It has come up in conversation, yes :-)
>
> Would you see a “see also” relationship as meaning “you really, really need to read this” or “this contains supplementary information”? Or something in between?
I don't think I care.

I see it as an outlet to release pressure for those folks that want to
put numbers on the first page that really should just be references with
explanatory text making the references natural.

I might care more if we reset the conversation completely and stopped
talking in terms of "stuff on the first page" and spoke more about
"metadata about the documents that's curated enough for software to
use". I think going there will be a bigger, longer, but more useful to
the world in the long run, conversation. I suspect somewhere along that
path, we'll be staring at yang models...