Re: How about the IETF 107 T-Shirts ?

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 12 March 2020 03:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 23:31:01 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
Subject: Re: How about the IETF 107 T-Shirts ?

--On Thursday, March 12, 2020 04:20 +0100 Toerless Eckert
<tte@cs.fau.de> wrote:

> Haha, love the idea.
>
> So at IETF108, there should be a booth with a small variety of
> stamps "Cancelled", "Corona", "Virtualized",  "not in"
> etc. and a couple of colours, and each of us can do one's own
> customized IEF107 shirt.

I was hoping that the shirts could be made available,
appropriately modified, by mail order rather than requiring
showing up at IETF 108, because anyone who participates in IETF
107 remotely is fully as much of a participant, and hence
entitled to obtain a T-Shirt, in that meeting as anyone else.
Whether it would also be good to sell them at IETF 108 (assuming
that occurs in person), I am happy to leave to the good judgment
and business expertise of the ExecDir and/or LLC Board.  :-)

> Maybe cut-outs instead of stamps and spray can's.
> Not sure whats most easy/best on t-shirts.

> +1 on your hope for solutions of the other outstanding issues.
> I just wanted to get away from the corona discussion.

Me too, and in that sense I'm glad you started the thread.

I think the real message from both of us may be that it is time
to lighten up a bit on both daily or hourly coronavirus details
and trying to re-evaluate or review the cancellation decision
and its implications.  Many of us have lots of substantive
technical work to do in the IETF.   Can we get back to it
without feeling a need to read every one of these many, many,
messages in the fear that one of them might be important or even
the hope that one might be amusing?

thanks,
   john