Subject: [DRAFT] New BCP: AUTH48 Process Reform
From: Timo Gerke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2026 16:36:51 +0200
List-Id: "IETF-Discussion. This is the most general IETF mailing list, intended for discussion of technical, procedural, operational, and other topics for which no dedicated mailing lists exist." <ietf.ietf.org>

Dear IETF Community,

The latest version of my process reform draft available at [1].

Core objective: Eliminating late-stage Working Group Bypassing during
the AUTH48 phase to safeguard rough consensus.

The document establishes a deterministic, two-stage freeze system
verified by a non-conflicted Chair (Stage 1: "Technically finished" core
lock; Stage 2: "Editorial changes completed" window).

pon dual-stage verification, the system automatically appends the
consensus validation statement as Paragraph 4 to the "Status of This
Memo" section.

Additionally, the draft defines clear operational rules for Datatracker
state processing (IESG and IAB level), including a 30-day dual-timer
automation and conflict-of-interest escalation metrics.

Technical feedback and discussion welcome.

Best regards,
Timo Gerke

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gerke-auth48-process-reform/

-- 

If you think technology can solve your security problems,
then you don't understand the problems and you don't
understand the technology. -- Bruce Schneier