Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

Dave Crocker <dhc2@dcrocker.net> Wed, 21 September 2005 14:22 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:21:56 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dhc2@dcrocker.net>
To: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

> It seems that on the Internet so called real time applications are
> generally either
>
> delay sensitive
>
> and / or
>
> Jitter intolerant. (Which  are, of course, different things.)

Marshall,

I think you are onto something quite fundamental.  In recent times, the IETF
has gotten quite good at introducing delay and making foliks jittery, so it
does make some sense to be official about it...

On a slightly more serious note, I'm struck by the co-occurrence of a focus on
"delay sensitive" work with one on "delay tolerant" (DTN) work.  Methinks
there really is some commonality on the core services, although the apps are
wildly divergent.  Probably.

However, the skillsets involved in paying attention to infrastructure
performance, as needed for internet and transport work, is fundamentally
different from that needed for the services that use the infrastructure
(generally called "applications" but why be fussy?)

It strikes me that the real danger of creating this specialized area will be a
failure to produce results that integrate with the rest of the IETF work.

Why don't we have an email area that covers relevant infrastructure services,
and a web area that also does, since each of these applications have different
infrastructure requirements and the lack of focus on them has had a negative
impact on both of their operations.

(And, yes, I'm serious that they have different service needs and that their
operation is affected by this.)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker