Re: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

Lyman Chapin <lyman@bbn.com> Mon, 10 July 2000 01:30 UTC

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 21:15:19 -0400
To: cls@flywheel.com
From: Lyman Chapin <lyman@bbn.com>
Subject: Re: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, lyman@bbn.com

Craig,

 From RFC 1287:

"If I could PING you, and you could PING me, then we were both on the
Internet, and a satisfying working definition of the Internet could
be constructed as a roughly transitive closure of IP-speaking
systems. This model of the Internet was simple, uniform, and -
perhaps most important - testable. The IP-connectivity model clearly
distinguished systems that were "on the Internet" from those that
were not."

In the same RFC, we proposed a different answer to your "what *IS*
the Internet?" question, based not on IP (network address)
connectivity but on the shared domain name space managed by DNS -
"the Internet" consists of entities nameable within the DNS, however
they may be interconnected by underlying networks.

- Lyman