Re: AdminRest: IASA BCP: Executive Director

"Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com> Fri, 26 November 2004 17:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:20:00 -0500
To: "'ietf@ietf.org'" <ietf@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com>
Subject: Re: AdminRest: IASA BCP: Executive Director
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

There is an obvious question that at least for me drives the answer to
whther the IAD is the IETF Executive Director.

As currently practiced / defined, is the IETF Executive Director a full
time job?

If it is a full time job, then clearly it should not be combined with the
IAD.  THis implies that we will need budgeting to contract / hire this
person in addition to the IAD.

On the other hand, if this is not a full time job, it seems to make more
sense to combine it with the IAD because there is a very large overlap in
required knowledge.  For example, If the IESG decides in their meeting to
ask that the infrastructure group do something, the Exectuive director will
know that immediately, and have the context of the discussion.  If the IAD
is a separate person, he will need a clear description of what needs to be
done, and need to make sure the work is tracked properly in managing the
contract with the infastructure provider.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern