Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 06 September 2013 08:36 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:36:02 +0300
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org Discussion" <ietf@ietf.org>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>

On 06.09.2013 04:36, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I'm not saying there's no issue or no work to do, but what's new about
> any of this?

Still at the end of last year I remember conversations in working groups
that questions why we need TLS security for protocols like SCIM (a
protocol that shuffles credentials around).

I don't think that the decision in the RTCWeb group against SDES would
have been possible without the NSA news.

I also remember the Internet Privacy workshop the IAB and others
organized about 2 years ago and back then we argued whether government
surveillance is something we should focus on or whether we are mainly
interested in companies who impact your privacy.

While some (many) have already anticipated that the NSA (and other
governments) deploy massive surveillance technologies the extend to
which it is done has surprised most security persons I know.

In a nutshell, the understanding and awareness of the wider Internet
community has changed with those news.

Ciao
Hannes