RE: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> Sat, 10 January 2009 19:18 UTC

From: Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
To: 'IETF Discussion' <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:17:47 -0800
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Bill Manning wrote:
> "This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to all provisions of
> Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the right to produce derivative works
> is not granted."
-  and  -
> So for some IETF work product, there are/were people who assert a
> private ownership right in the materials they generated.  I think
> that the IETF Trust should be very careful in using/reusing that
> material, esp w/o asking permission.

This is consistent with what I've been saying, namely that IETF RFCs are
joint works of authorship.

1. The fact that IETF never previously granted the right to produce
derivative works can easily be corrected by one of the joint copyright
owners, in this case the IETF Trust, now granting that license. As I
understand it, this is what Simon and others have been arguing for all along
for the IETF out-license.

2. The IETF Trust owns a joint copyright. That also means that we can't
object if the other joint copyright owners assert their own private
ownership rights in the materials they generated. Who's stopping them? None
of the joint owners needs to ask permission of IETF or any others to do
anything they want with those jointly-owned IETF RFCs.

> There, I've spoken up ... reserving my right to speak now and later
> on this topic. (not going to "forever hold my peace").

Please excuse my poetic turn of phrase. As others have privately pointed out
to me, it is unlikely that anyone on here will respond to my plea to declare
their private claims any more than anyone does even at the worst of
weddings. That is another reason why the IETF Trust asking permission to do
what we wish with our own industry standards is such a futile exercise.
Hardly anyone has the courage or incentive to say "No" and publicly declare
their private ownership of our common standards. That is why we have to take
the risk to do what we need to do and simply dare anyone on here to sue IETF
when we allow certain kinds of derivative works.

For the lawyers on here, I'm hoping that silence now, particularly by the
major IETF contributors on this list, will be interpreted as laches or
waiver if one of them later claims an exclusive copyright interest in any
IETF RFC.

/Larry