Re: Last Call: RFC Editor Services Draft RFI

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 08 January 2009 18:23 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:22:47 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Ray Pelletier <rpelletier@isoc.org>
Subject: Re: Last Call: RFC Editor Services Draft RFI
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

--On Thursday, January 08, 2009 13:09 -0500 Ray Pelletier
<rpelletier@isoc.org> wrote:

>> (13) The Production Center is committed to follow the
>> provisions of a Style Manual that does not exist today, is
>> unlikely to exist when the RFP goes out, and may become the
>> first task for the newly-appointed RFC Series Editor in
>> January 2010.   I hope the IAB has a plan about how that
>> particular bit of transition is going to be handled and that
>> the plan has been vetted by the IAOC.  If not, this is
>> another internal normative dependency.
>
> John,
>
> The Style Manual is located here:
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-style-guide/rfc-style-manual-08.
> txt

Sorry to be pedantic about this.  Regardless of how it is
titled, that is a informal style guide (reading it makes that
clear) whose actual status (e.g., whether it complements RFC
2223 or the long-in-draft 2223bis or supercedes them) is
unclear.  What would turn it into a style manual would
presumably be IAB signoff under the RFC Editor Model document,
which is itself a draft.   And, at least when I last looked at
that section, the RFC Editor Model draft assigns responsibility
for the style manual to the Series Editor and does not
grandfather the current RFC Editor into that specific role, the
aggregate "RFC Editor function" notwithstanding. So one cannot
assume, absent language in the draft RFI that isn't there, that
the Production House should assume that rfc-style-manual-08 is
the reference Style Manual until and unless it is replaced or
updated.

If, for the purposes of the RFI, you want to identify that draft
as the basis for the Style Manual that will be used by the
Production House until it is replaced, then say so and reference
it.

     john