RE: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

Andrew Allen <aallen@blackberry.com> Wed, 25 May 2016 00:21 UTC

From: Andrew Allen <aallen@blackberry.com>
To: Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@gmail.com>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 00:21:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.65.160.247]

Given events over the past 15 years in New York, Washington, Madrid, London, Sydney, Paris, Brussels,........ the possibility always exists of someone experiencing a devastating impact when engaging in international travel. The key thing is whether the risk of being affected by such an event poses a significant risk.

Are there any foreign nationals, currently or recently (over the past 10 years) jailed in Singapore for the offences of concern? If not then I would suggest that such a risk is minimal and much less than other potential devastating risks of international travel.

According to Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory) which I expect is pretty accurately maintained by members of the LGBT community (at time of writing the last update was 3 days ago):
 - Singapore: Penalty: up to 2 years prison sentence (Not enforced since 1999)

IMHO not enforced since 1999 (if accurate) does not represent a significant risk. I think it should not be too difficult for IETF to confirm the actual situation as this must be a matter of public record.

The additional concerns raised about family hospital visitation rights, etc, because of lack of recognition of same sex marriage potentially apply to just about every country in Asia (including Japan, China, Taiwan, and South Korea where IETF has had or has scheduled meetings). The Netherlands was the first country in the world to recognize same sex marriage as recently as 2001 and IETF has had successful meetings all over the world prior to 2001 and since then in many countries where same-sex marriage was not recognized at the time without such a concern being raised. If we recognize also this concern as a total bar to locations then we cannot meet almost anywhere in Asia for the foreseeable future. Also several countries in Europe do not currently recognize full same sex marriage (according to the same site only 12 out of 28 EU members) with 22 out of 28 recognizing same sex unions and 6 neither. What same sex unions means for foreign same-sex married couples in terms of hospital visitation rights is unclear and potentially affects our upcoming Berlin meeting (in Germany only same sex unions and not marriage is currently recognized according to the site).

Cancellation of the Singapore IETF meeting likely represents a significant financial loss to IETF, (expect increased meeting fees to cover that in future), the almost certain loss of a meeting located in the Asia region (also a negative impact on equal participation, fairness and diversity) and possibly the complete loss of a face to face meeting (if another suitable location cannot reasonably be found at short notice) with the associated financial impact of the loss of a 3rd of the annual meeting fee revenue. Taking such a momentous step should be determined by whether the Singapore location represents an actual significant risk to any of the IETF participants based on the actual facts.

If we take such decisions based not on the actual significant risk to any of the IETF participants but on our distaste for aspects of laws or public policy then we are creating a precedent for the future evaluation of meeting locations based on whether some in the community find aspects of the locations laws or public policy unacceptable.  That will IMHO significantly distract from the mission of IETF and significantly impact our ability to meet face to face in a regionally balanced manner.

Andrew