Re: IETF 62

"Ben Crosby" <ben.crosby@alcatel.com> Mon, 20 September 2004 17:00 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:49:34 -0500
From: Ben Crosby <ben.crosby@alcatel.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: IETF 62
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

I didn't want to waste everyone's time with a long discussion on one particular location in Canada. I was merely pointing out that other options were explored before we picked DC.

You can say what you like about the planning, but stepping in to host an already announced meeting leaves ones hands tied with respect to the dates.

I agree with most of what is said below, but several things have been glossed over such as having to collect checked luggage and clear customs at the first entry point into Canada, such as corporate travel policies that may favor one world's alliance over the star alliance - negating Air Canada's flight frequency, and such as the fact that changing terminal at any airport in the USA is a royal PITA - I now include Toronto in that mess since the opening of their new terminal.

Vancouver didn't have hourly flights last time I looked. The New York flight was to La Guardia not JFK, but perhaps Air Canada is finally getting their act together.

Again, my point was that travel to Canada can be as infuriating as to parts of the USA.

I travel in excess of 100k miles a year, and even with top tier on both Star Alliance *and* One World, travel is a pain.

If we look for reasons not to go to places, be it fingerprinting, connections, or convenience, we'll run out of venues fast.

Ta,
Ben.