Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org> Fri, 02 April 2021 04:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 21:31:54 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Subject: Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Cc: lloyd.wood@yahoo.co.uk, Lars Eggert <chair@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bertola=40open-xchange.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Niels ten Oever <mail@nielstenoever.net>

   I'm saddened and shocked at the inability of IETF leadership to
understand satire.

   Do you think that Swift's "A Modest Proposal" really advocated
cannibalism or was it, perhaps, a satirical response to a problem
that should not have been taken literally?

   I'll point out that 3 satirical April 1 drafts were deleted at
the vocal insistence of Niels ten Oever who produced his own unfunny
April 1 RFC. Lars dutifully responded on twitter that he was
removing these drafts, and received the applause of the censorious
who then proceeded to cheer their own contribution.

   Niels noted that people should make fun of those who have more
power then they do. Well I think it's obvious who has the power.
It's the people you're not allowed to make fun of.

   Dan.

--
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to
escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius