Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review andcomments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Tue, 13 January 2009 01:24 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: trustees@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review andcomments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:27:16 -0800
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi -

When updates have been wordsmithed by the WG, is it true that
only a person whose exact N words (where N >= X) were used
needs to sign off on it, and we don't need to track down every
single variation suggested during the wordsmithing?  Can
we have a guideline for WG chairs on a value for X?

> If IETF Last Call or IESG Evaluation brings comments that require an
> update to the I-D, then you end up with the same situation.
>
> If the document is approved without change, then the RFC Editor will
> ask each of the authors to grant the additional rights required by
> RFC 5378.  If this cannot be done, then the document will sit in the
> queue until some work-around like the one being discussed on this
> thread is implemented.

In the particular case Doug mentions, there are *no* authors, only
editors working under the direction of a WG.  Does this still apply?
Wouldn't it make more sense for the WG to grant the additional rights,
since it is the WG which authored the work.

Randy